Just like everyone's favorite snack Maruchan, in only 3 minutes, you'll be able to catch up with Mark & Bern in Yokosuka, Japan. Enjoy!

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Weekend Update



The first weekend here in Yokosuka was all about exploring the immediate area outside of the base. On Saturday, we checked out the local mall which was no different than any other mall you would find in the states. On our way there, we discovered our very first Pachinko Parlor. It's kind of a mix between pinball & slot machines...not really sure how you win at the game but one thing is for sure; these places are LOUD!! The main street of Yokosuka is called Blue Street. It's filled with all sorts of restaurants, markets, & shops. Bern discovered the 100 yen stores, which are like the 99 cents stores back home.






There is a nice park right off the base called Mikasa Park. It has an old Japanese military ship permanently docked along with a mini archway similar to the one in St. Louis. It overlooks Tokyo Bay and the military base.

One thing I have noticed are all the vending machines at each and every street corner. Japanese people must be obsessed with these things because they are all over the place. No joke. But they are unique in that they offer both cold and hot drinks which I thought was something really cool. (Look into this Laura! haha) I got my favorite Japanese soft drink, Calpico. Try it out the next time you go to a Japanese market, it's pretty good.



As you can imagine, Bern and I worked up a considerable appetite with all the walking we did this weekend.

We had Ramen (finally) at the noodle shop right off the main gate. I had the spicy miso ramen while Bern had the shoyu ramen. When paying for your meal here in Japan, you go up to the cashier and place the money in a tray instead of handing it to them directly. Not sure why yet but I'm sure I'll find out why soon.

We also went to a Tempura restaurant where the tempura batter was different than the one we've become accustomed to in the states. Here, it had a lighter, more crunchier texture which I thought really helped to absorb the sauce a lot better. I was a happy camper because I also had my first beer in Japan; Kirin (my favorite!)



Now on Sunday, as we were strolling down one of the unbeaten paths of Blue Street, we came across a small Yakatori stand (grilled meat on a stick). They had a variety of different meats from chicken to pork liver. Bern and I had just finished dinner at the Tempura place so we decided to just share one chicken stick. Each stick is 70 yen; or about 70 cents, so the people there were just hanging out grabbing the yakatori sticks as they were coming off the grill. One guy I saw had atleast 20 sticks in his hand when he went to pay for them. I'm sure this place gets packed with people after a long night at the bar. NOTE TO SELF- open up a carne asada fries stand next to Yakatori stand! haha




5 comments:

  1. Enjoy all the tasty ramen for me!! Great pictures! !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying Ramen from Japan is on my bucket list! Was it better than Tajima?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so...if u like Tajima then try out a another restaurant close by there. I forgot the name but it's in the same shopping center as wings n things and the original house of pancakes... There's no name on the building but it's really good!

      Delete
  3. yum! Yah, i was amazed at the vending machines too... I would always order a warm coffee from a can! always tripped me out...haha, the little things. Looks like you guys had a good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. damn it, you guys are making me miss asia! haha

    ReplyDelete